The Ownt Gaming Community
Welcome to The Ownt Gaming Community,

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to viewing most discussions and other features of our website. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our community today!

If you already have a account with us, simply log in.

Sincerely,
The Ownt Gaming Community Administration Team

**Please note that you must post an application and be accepted before you can put on Ownt Tags**
Welcome to The Ownt Gaming Community,

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to viewing most discussions and other features of our website. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our community today!

If you already have a account with us, simply log in.

Sincerely,
The Ownt Gaming Community Administration Team

**Please note that you must post an application and be accepted before you can put on Ownt Tags**
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Ownt Gaming Community Forums!

HomeHomePageLatest imagesMemberlistRegisterLog in
Hello All!
The Forums have been archived
>>> Click Here <<<
To Read all about it

Sci-Fi Anyone?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gu!tarfury
Private - 1.3
Private - 1.3
gu!tarfury

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for really good, intelligently written sci-fi novels? I really enjoy sci-fi, but good sci-fi is so hard to find. Currently I'm reading some Peter Hamilton, but finding more good works is quite difficult.
Back to top Go down
Cwian
Administrator v.4
Administrator v.4
Cwian

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:05 am

Depends on what ur looking for bro. I'm a big fan in general of novels and have read my fair share of sci-fi novels.

S.M. Stirling wrote a series where all modern technology suddenly disapears and the collapse of society into an utter anarchy.

Harry Turtledove has written his fair share of good sci-fi to go ontop of his infamous alternate history

starship troopers is also a very well written sci-fi novel and fairly enjoyable.

David sherman and Dan cragg also wrote a fairly good series about the future of marines if intergalactic travel becomes possible.

If ur looking for short reads there's a collection called The best military science fiction of the 20th century

included in that book was an excerpt from the book the forever war which I ended up picking up later. That book was also fairly decent but focused more on humanity than on conflict or terrestial contact.
Back to top Go down
gu!tarfury
Private - 1.3
Private - 1.3
gu!tarfury

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Cool, I'll check some of those out. Looking around on Amazon and saw that S. M. Stirling has a post- apocalyptic series, that will be first on my list. I love post-apocalyptic, like Stephen King's The Stand and Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

I have read some by Robert Heinlein, including Starship Troopers, and I found that to be fairly enjoyable as well.

I read a lot of novels also, I stick with a lot of the same authors but also give other stuff a try and I'm always looking for something good. Way too many novels these days just aren't written well to be honest.

My two favorite more modern authors have to be Stephen King and Michael Crichton. They have different styles but I've always enjoyed their novels. Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, is becoming quite the novelist himself. Just finished Horns, and it's just crazy, lol.

BTW, it seems that you like a lot of futuristic stuff with military applications. Have you ever read Ender's Game? If not, I would recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Leader
Leader
Vixen

Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
5000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player
CoD2 1.2 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Cwian wrote:

S.M. Stirling wrote a series where all modern technology suddenly disapears and the collapse of society into an utter anarchy.

So Kinda like the The Postman
Back to top Go down
http://www.owntclan.com
Cwian
Administrator v.4
Administrator v.4
Cwian

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Fury I have indeed read Enders game I just never really got that far into the book. The s.m. Stirling series is very good through the first three novels. If you like post apocalyptic u will be intrigued by the twist he puts on that sub genre. Also if u liked Michael chrighton I just finished a book by Warren Fay called fragment which has been described as Jurassic park on steroids.
Back to top Go down
Romanian
Senior Administrator v.5
Senior Administrator v.5

CoD4 Leader
Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
4000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player
CoD2 1.2 Player
CoD4 1.6 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player
Artist

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:37 pm

I read Ender's Game my freshman year in high school as a class project for an essay.

Is there a sequel to it?

Any movies?
Back to top Go down
http://romanian-a.deviantart.com/
Cwian
Administrator v.4
Administrator v.4
Cwian

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 7:01 pm

I don't know if there's a sequal to it but I do know that orson Scott card wrote quite a few books
Back to top Go down
gu!tarfury
Private - 1.3
Private - 1.3
gu!tarfury

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Cool Cwian, I'll check out the Fay novel as well.

And Rom, O S Card actually wrote an entire Ender series and Shadow series which go together. I'll list them below. They have talked forever about an Ender's Game movie, but nothing as come of it yet.

Chronological order

1. Ender's Game/ Ender's Shadow(Point of view of Bean)
2. A War of Gifts
3. Ender In Exile
4. Shadow of the Hegemon
5. Shadow Puppets
6. Shadow of the Giant
7. Speaker For the Dead
8. Xenocide
9. Children of the Mind
Back to top Go down
Romanian
Senior Administrator v.5
Senior Administrator v.5

CoD4 Leader
Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
4000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player
CoD2 1.2 Player
CoD4 1.6 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player
Artist

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Thx guitar! I'll check them out. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://romanian-a.deviantart.com/
Blondie
Blondie

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Frank Herbert: Dune
Aldous Huxley: Brave New World

2 of the best if you haven't read them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sci-Fi Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Anyone?   Sci-Fi Anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi Anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ownt Gaming Community :: Reviews ::    :: Books-